* theme #10 is a theme by destroyer.tumblr.com. Please don't remove credit! */>
This is Angel. She had a heat stroke. She died today a tragic and preventable death in the arms of one of our volunteers. It was 82 degrees and breezy in Houston when we were called by a good samaritan who found her on their porch. Our volunteer went and picked her up and rushed her to the vet. Her temperature was so high the thermometer couldn’t read it which means 106+ degrees.
Heat stroke in dogs is completely preventable. Please educate the people you know, share Angel’s story and maybe we can save another dog. We did everything we could for her, but it turned out the damage was too severe and we let her go. The people that found her did the right thing by giving her water and calling rescue, but they did not know she needed to be brought inside. If you ever see a dog lost on a hot day please bring it inside no matter what the breed. I am not posting this story to point fingers or anger anyone. We simply want to spread the word about the dangers of hot weather and summer hasn’t even started yet.
Keep the pooches cool and out of the sun. Especially those with little short noses and flat faces
This broke my heart. My Balthy gets overheated easily in the summer and loves to cool off in the lake/ on the cold tile floor and eat ice cubes.